Frequently Asked Questions
From September 2023 our Synergy Supreme * 99 will transition to contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located. The labelling at our pumps will remain as E5 for Synergy Supreme * 99 unleaded.
The octane rating of petrol is a measure of its resistance to knock, with higher octanes more resistant to knock. Petrol engines work by compressing air and fuel, then igniting the mixture with a spark. Certain engine conditions can cause all or part of the mixture to ignite on its own without the spark, creating what’s called “knock” in your engine. Fuels can be blended to meet different octane ratings at the refinery or fuel terminal.
The majority of today’s petrol vehicles are designed to run on regular octane fuel (95). However, using higher octane fuel than the minimum required can benefit fuel economy, power and acceleration even in vehicles calling for regular fuel. Engine design features like higher compression ratios and forced air induction (e.g. turbochargers or superchargers) can make engines more responsive to octane. The benefits achievable with higher octane depend not only on hardware design but also on the car’s calibration and the user’s driving style.
- You must present your Nectar card or Nectar key tag at the time of your purchase at participating Esso branded service stations to qualify for any Nectar points or have previously added your Nectar card details to your Esso App account. Nectar points cannot be awarded retrospectively.
- Nectar collectors can earn 1 point per litre of Esso Synergy™ fuel or 2 points per pound spent on carwash, lubricants or shop products at participating Esso branded service stations.
- Points collected at participating Esso branded service stations will be credited to your Nectar account by Nectar 360 Limited and included in your statement for redemption via existing Nectar redemption options.
- Transactions using Key Fuels or UK Fuels bunker card(s) are not eligible for Nectar points.
- Nectar points issued on all transactions are capped at 100 points for unleaded and 250 points for diesel purchases and £200 for spend in shop.
- Restrictions may be placed on the issuance of Nectar points at participating Esso branded service stations. Esso may not issue Nectar points on transactions it considers to be above reasonable use or where it suspects fraudulent activity without any notice. Esso’s decision on these circumstances is final.
- Nectar points can be spent at participating Esso branded service stations only. Please see details of participating Esso branded service stations here. Nectar points cannot be spent at Esso branded service stations with a Tesco Express shop.
- Nectar collectors can receive a 5 pence per litre discount on Esso Synergy™ fuel (diesel or petrol) for 300 Nectar points, with a minimum fill size of 10 litres at participating Esso branded service stations. Discount applies on the first 60 litres only. A maximum of 300 points can be exchanged for a 5 pence per litre discount in a single transaction. Nectar points cannot be spent on any other products at Esso branded service stations.
- You must present your Nectar card or Nectar key tag at the time of your purchase at participating Esso branded service stations to receive a redemption option or have previously added your Nectar card details to your Esso App account. Nectar points cannot be spent retrospectively.
- Transactions using Key Fuels, UK Fuels bunker card(s), Esso Card, Esso Commercial Vehicle Card, EuroShell, DKV and Allstar BP Supercharge are not eligible for the Nectar redemption option.
- Nectar points cannot be spent on LPG purchases [or for EV charging].
- Restrictions may be placed on the redemption of Nectar points at participating Esso branded service stations. Esso may not offer a redemption option on transactions it considers to be above reasonable use or where it suspects fraudulent activity without any notice. Esso’s decision on these circumstances is final.
You can use the “Find Esso Stations” option at the bottom of the app home screen to find your closest mobile-enabled site or check the Esso website. You will need to give permission for the app to access your location so it can search for sites near you and provide driving directions. The app is being rolled out to new sites all the time, so check there to see your nearest site.
a) At Esso branded service stations with a Tesco Express shop you’ll collect one Clubcard point for every £3 spent on petrol or diesel. You can claim Clubcard points on the first 100 litres of each fuel purchased. For car washes or any other in-store purchases, collect 1 point for every £1 you spend. Sorry you can't collect points on tobacco or tobacco related products, lottery, stamps, prescription medicines, infant formulae milk, Tesco gift cards, 3rd party gift cards, saving stamps, in-store concessions, Paypoint payments or for purchases of some Tesco Bank products.
b) Bonus points
From time-to-time Esso may run promotions granting additional points. Further details will be available when a promotion is running.
Yes, all Esso branded service stations that have a Tesco Express shop attached now accept Clubcard vouchers towards payment for fuel or shop purchases. Both paper vouchers and digital vouchers on the Tesco Grocery & Clubcard app are accepted – just present them before you pay.
In particular, the Tesco Grocery & Clubcard app is a great way to see your Clubcard points balance and turn them into Faster Vouchers which can then be used within 24 hours.
Terms apply and certain shop products are excluded. See https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/help/terms-and-conditions for more details.
Esso works in partnership with Tesco at nearly 200 stores and this means you can collect Clubcard points and use Clubcard vouchers at any Esso branded service stations with a Tesco Express shop. To find your nearest Esso branded service station with a Tesco Express shop please visit Esso Fuel Finder.
You don't have to shop at Tesco to use Clubcard points. There are over 100 Reward Partners you can exchange your points for other than Tesco shopping, including your Clubcard vouchers at Esso in order to secure a fuel discount. Both paper vouchers and digital vouchers on the Tesco Grocery & Clubcard app are accepted – just present them when you pay.
Yes, at Esso branded service stations with a Tesco Express shop, you’ll collect one Clubcard point for every £3 spent on petrol or diesel. You can claim Clubcard points on the first 100 litres of each fuel purchase.
Clubcard points awarded will be shown on your receipt at the time of purchase. Your quarterly Tesco Clubcard statement (issued four times a year by Tesco Clubcard, usually in February, May, August and November) will show you the number of points awarded at Esso branded service stations under the Tesco Clubcard points summary detail. You can also visit 'My Tesco Clubcard Account' to see transaction details.
Yes, the Tesco Grocery & Clubcard App has a digital copy of your Clubcard which can be scanned at the till at any Esso branded service station with a Tesco Express shop. It also carries digital Clubcard vouchers which are now accepted towards payment for fuel or shop purchases when paying in store.
Where payment has been made using two means of payment (e.g. using a fuel card for fuel and then cash/credit card for store items) the customer should ask for the Tesco Clubcard to be processed before each part of the separate payments (certain products are excluded. See terms and conditions for details).
Customers must present their Tesco Clubcard at the time of purchase. Unfortunately, it is not possible to credit Clubcard points retrospectively.
Esso restricts the frequency with which a Tesco Clubcard may be used at Esso branded service stations and the maximum number of points per fuel or shop purchase to help prevent fraud. Any promotional or bonus points issued will not count towards these limits.
Clubcard points earned at Esso branded service stations with a Tesco Express shop should typically appear on Tesco Clubcard accounts by midday the following working day.
On your Tesco Clubcard quarterly statement, points from Esso fuel are shown in the section that breaks down your points earned at Tesco and with other partners. However, if you look at a transaction level, they appear like a normal Tesco spend, but will usually have ‘Express’ in the name of the location where the points were earned.
From time to time Esso may run promotions using barcodes on coupons. Coupons may be distributed by being sent to customers, for example, in the Tesco Clubcard quarterly voucher statement or printed on customer receipts to be used on a subsequent visit.
The Tesco Clubcard operation is managed by Tesco Clubcard. Any queries regarding your Tesco Clubcard should be directed to Tesco Clubcard - the contact details are on the reverse of your Tesco Clubcard. You can contact the Tesco Clubcard helpline (0800 59 16 88) open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 6pm (closed Sundays) or via https://www.tesco.com/help/contact/
Tesco Clubcard points will be issued on payments by cash, credit card, debit card, and fuel cards accepted at Esso branded service stations with a Tesco Express shop (Esso Card, Allstar, Shell Europe, BP Plus, Fuel Genie and Key Fuels cards).