Our Esso Synergy petrol
What’s in our Synergy regular petrol?
Our fuel engineers spend hours and hours testing different ingredients and formulas, because they know the smallest change can make a difference. Like the molecules in our regular Synergy petrol that have been specially designed to help look after your engine and keep vital parts of your engine clean (like your car's intake valves). You may have heard that nasty engine deposits can build up in your engine over time which prevent your car from performing at its best and can reduce your fuel economy.*
On top of this, in September 2021 the government mandated that all regular grade unleaded must contain up to 10% ethanol to help lower emissions. Synergy Unleaded with E10 is available at all sites in the UK.
What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol?
Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules engineered to reduce friction in your engine and help moving parts work more efficiently.**
Synergy Supreme+ 99 contains up to a maximum of 5% ethanol.
Our Esso Synergy diesel
Introducing Esso Supreme 25% Renewable Diesel
New Esso Supreme 25% Renewable Diesel is now piloting at 20 Esso service stations. The alternative diesel contains 25% hydrotreated vegetable oil. It’s suitable for any diesel engine - no adjustments required. Simply fill up the way you usually do.Find out more
What’s in our Synergy regular diesel?
Our fuel engineers spend hours and hours testing different ingredients and formulas, because they know the smallest change can make a difference. Like the molecules in our regular Synergy diesel that have been specially designed to help clean vital parts of your engine (like your car’s fuel injectors) and help look after your engine. You may have heard that nasty engine deposits can build up in your engine over time which prevent your car from performing at its best and can reduce your fuel economy. In fact, when we tested Synergy diesel on everyday cars it helped improve fuel economy by an average of 1.8%.****
What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ premium diesel?
Our Synergy Supreme+ Diesel has double the detergent additive than our regular diesel. This means it gives your engine a deeper clean, to better remove nasty deposits and improve the amount of power and responsiveness you get. There are other benefits to Supreme+, including less wear and tear, a clean fuel injector, better protection from corrosion, and less chance of clogging. It also helps the fuel burn more efficiently so you get better fuel economy†.
Frequently Asked Questions
The octane rating of petrol is a measure of its resistance to knock, with higher octanes more resistant to knock. Petrol engines work by compressing air and fuel, then igniting the mixture with a spark. Certain engine conditions can cause all or part of the mixture to ignite on its own without the spark, creating what’s called “knock” in your engine. Fuels can be blended to meet different octane ratings at the refinery or fuel terminal.
The majority of today’s petrol vehicles are designed to run on regular octane fuel (95). However, using higher octane fuel than the minimum required can benefit fuel economy, power and acceleration even in vehicles calling for regular fuel. Engine design features like higher compression ratios and forced air induction (e.g. turbochargers or superchargers) can make engines more responsive to octane. The benefits achievable with higher octane depend not only on hardware design but also on the car’s calibration and the user’s driving style.
- Esso reserves the right to cancel, terminate, suspend or change the ability to collect and or redeem Nectar points at Esso branded service stations without notice (including, but not limited to suspension arising out of non-availability of the App or technical failure generally or at a particular Esso branded service station). Esso shall not be responsible for any losses suffered or incurred as a direct or indirect result of the act of cancellation, termination, suspension or change in the availability of the Nectar scheme at Esso branded service stations. Nothing in these terms shall limit Esso’s liability for death, personal injury or fraud.
- The terms and conditions for use of Nectar card and issuance or spending of Nectar points at participating Esso branded service stations may be amended, varied and/or supplemented by Esso Petroleum Company, Limited (“Esso”) at any time in its absolute discretion and without prior notice.
- You must present your Nectar card or Nectar key tag at the time of your purchase at participating Esso branded service stations to qualify for any Nectar points or have previously added your Nectar card details to your Esso App account. Nectar points cannot be awarded retrospectively.
- Nectar collectors can earn 1 point per litre of Esso Synergy™ fuel or 2 points per pound spent on carwash, lubricants or shop products at participating Esso branded service stations.
- Points collected at participating Esso branded service stations will be credited to your Nectar account by Nectar 360 Limited and included in your statement for redemption via existing Nectar redemption options.
- Transactions using Key Fuels or UK Fuels bunker card(s) are not eligible for Nectar points.
- Nectar points issued on all transactions are capped at 100 points for unleaded and 250 points for diesel purchases and £200 for spend in shop.
- Restrictions may be placed on the issuance of Nectar points at participating Esso branded service stations. Esso may not issue Nectar points on transactions it considers to be above reasonable use or where it suspects fraudulent activity without any notice. Esso’s decision on these circumstances is final.
* Claims based on (1) internal or third party vehicle engine testing; and /or (2) government publications; and/or (3) industry or scientific literature. Benefits may vary depending on factors such as engine type, driving style and fuel previously used.
** Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 Unleaded Petrol claims based on (1) internal or third party vehicle engine testing; and /or (2) government publications; and/or (3) industry or scientific literature. Benefits may vary depending on factors such as engine type, driving style and fuel previously used. Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 Unleaded Petrol has a higher additive treat rate, compared to Esso Synergy Unleaded Petrol. Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 Unleaded contains a friction modifier. Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 Unleaded is available at selected Esso branded service stations only.
***Comparison is versus regular Esso Synergy Diesel. Esso Supreme 25% Renewable Diesel contains a minimum of 25% renewable diesel. Choosing Esso Supreme 25% Renewable Diesel instead of regular Esso Synergy Diesel results in 15% lower greenhouse gas emissions when comparing the emissions over the life cycle of each fuel. Fuels vary both in their total life cycle emissions (i.e., from production to use or “well to wheel”) and in how the emissions are distributed throughout that life cycle. The methodology for calculating life cycle emissions and emissions reduction follows that outlined in the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligations Order 2007 (SI 2007/3072) as amended (“RTFO”). For more details about the product and full details of the calculation including assumptions and emission factors visit [Esso.co.uk/calculation].
****Esso Synergy Diesel Claims based on (1) internal or third party vehicle engine testing; and/or (2) government publications; and/or (3) industry or scientific literature. Testing based on diesel vehicles purchased on the UK used car market and independently tested at Mahle, UK. Fuel economy was assessed in the condition vehicles were received. Testing occurred over 4000 km using Esso Synergy Diesel and the average increase in fuel economy in the cars tested was 1.8%. Benefits may vary depending on factors such as engine type, engine condition, driving style, and diesel previously used.
†Esso Supreme+ Diesel has greater detergency which helps remove more injector deposits. Claims based on independent engine testing and industry/scientific literature. Benefits may vary depending on engine type, driving style and fuel previously used.